Saturday, August 26, 2006

Doggerel

When I walk in the woods alone
I like to measure the distance
between myself and the next human being
in miles.

But the crunch of my boots on loose stones
joins with the rushing of the creek
and the wind and the bees and the sound of a plane cutting across the corner of the sky

To make a thousand voices
in my head
chattering, chiding
and calling my name.

So I stop walking
and the flies swirl away
and the wind dies down
and the voices in my head
turn back into the sound of water
running over rock.

Now I know that when I want to walk
In the wilderness alone
I must stand completely still
Or leave my head behind.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wayne Leman said...

The beautiful sound of silence. And beautiful words to describe it. I enjoyed this read.

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home